First, Id like to thank you for taking the time to read this information, before calling me to answer all of this questions for each one of you. !! Ya Ya. Also for caring to educate your self before committing to a new family member.
First, id like to talk about the shiba inu's trainability that I'm sure you already have read is tough. Well it is tough but it is a smart dog and is usually deemed tough because its smarter then you. Ha, yes I said that,
If you do not learn how to train a dog, its not going to train it self and just do all the work for you. I offer now on line obedience on Zoom that you can follow along weekly, in your home where ever you live, and get the basic foundation to train your own puppy so the puppy will not be running your home, and be out of control.
Biting kids, dogs and others running away, this stuff all happens over a long period from lack of socializing, and obedience training, combined with the lack of no guidance from the start
, I'm here to help anyone who purchases a puppy, from me or any one else, that would like a new start with there current dog, or train from the beginning with the new puppy. ( of any breed).
I just started these classes in October of 2020, and my clients and their puppy's are doing amazing work, I am so proud of the results. I want you to really consider training a necessity of time and effort on your part, so my shiba puppy's do not get rehomed or sent to a shelter later because you did not take the time to train them. They look like cute little foxes when you buy them, but with out guidance, they can be the rulers of your home.
1. can I tour your kennel, no. 2020- due to covid, parvo and other contagious disease, I do not do tours, one puppy's do not get there shots till 6 weeks, and have no immunity to much of any thing.
However, I am working on all dogs having a Photo/and or a live video you will see below there photos so you can see them live and moving and feel assured they are a quality dog. Thank you for understanding.
2 I Hold 2 licenses with the department of agriculture, one for boarding dogs for over 20 years, 2nd one for breeding dogs, With these licenses I get inspected multiple times a year, follow a strict state required, level of cleanliness, room, a vet approved exercise program for all dogs, keep current shots, and health records on all the dogs on the property including my own. There is no inspecting you could do that is any where near the level of what the state already does.
3. Are these champion puppy's _ Puppy's can be out of champion parents or Grandparents, but puppies are not champions them selves until you show them in conformation and they earn the required 15 points, under different judges, and receive there major wins. Please see https://www.akc.org/website to learn more about how dogs become champions.
4.AKC -In my opinion, this is the only true Registry of dogs, So a puppy can be registered with other clubs, but I would be cautious if it is a purebred, just because a dog has a paper doesn't really mean its that dog.
5.Dogs that are DNA tested.-, this means the DNA for each parent dog is on file, and the dogs parentage can be verified.
6. All my dogs are not only DNA tested but microchipped. all dogs that get health certifications must have this before OFA ex-rays can be taken to identify the dog is who it says it is.
7. OFA testing, All shibas should be cleared for hips, eyes and patella's. all dogs have to be at least 2 years old to get a permanent certification. dogs one year old can have a preliminary ex-ray. all dogs that have eyes hips and patella's done will receive what's called a chick #. it will be listed on my site under their photo. If they do not have it listed they do not have it.
I feel health testing is very important, and leaning towards all of my young dogs will have chick numbers over time. I do how ever offer health guarantee and will replace any dog that would have a hereditary problem. see the puppy page for that explained in detail.
8. puppy's at 8 weeks old do not come neutered/spayed, you are required to do this around 51/2 months old for females and 6 months for males.
9. I do not currently sell puppy's to others for breeding purposes.
I do hold the akc papers until your puppy is fixed by a vet.
10. If you had a champion, and wanted to cross with one of my champions I would consider outside breeding.
11. Shiba's are good with children and make a great house dog. This statement is true ! If trained and socialized right , Also if your children respect the dog, A shiba is not a dog to be torture by unruly children it will not take that treatment. But for walking hiking, playing ball, this dog is the best for kids. It has energy not to get tired, but it is not a hyper breed and rarely barks. its amazingly clean in the house and very easy to house train. It is beautiful and just a wonderful pet.
12. what to feed. Keep it simple, I will direct you to the guy that's been around for ever. Purina Proplan I have had good results with this, the dogs love it its balanced and you just cant go wrong, This food is not to expensive and should be able to be found any where. I feed my puppies under one year old free choice kibble, but here they run a lot. If your puppy is not to active you may want to feed 2-3 cups a day. After a year old, my dogs go to a once a day feeding, of 1-2 cups depending on size , activity and body condition. If your pet is getting to fat cut it down, if your dog has a high metabolism give them more. My form of quality treats is boiled chicken or turkey for training and snack time.
13. Grooming requirements. I feel all dogs need a grooming with bath at least once a month at a professional shop, where we will use a power dryer on them to remove the undercoat , this deshedding process will help the everyday living of not dropping hair every where and not let loads of clumped hair build up so you have a huge shedding time. like this video I made for you to show a big blow out of winter hair, now this is my dog and I let him get right in the middle of a blow out to show you a extreme case, and how to clean him up your self if needed. I am a professional groomer, and we do this all the time from hairy to beautiful in 15 minutes, if the shiba is groomed once a month, and you brush it weekly on the table with some coat spray its care is very minimal and so will be the shedding in the house.
Below is our links to grooming a shiba. I hope its helpful to you and thank you for watching.
14. What AkC events can I show my shiba in Shiba's can show in any event except conformation if they are fixed.
I encourage you to enjoy the sport of rally obedience, akc obedience, lure coursing, fast cat, and agility, tracking, and flyball. Shiba's can and will excel at any of these activities, and there is usually a club or group in your area that meets weekly, to practice and you will make new friends your pet will be socialized and this time and practice will make your pet a well rounded dog and give him/her something to look forward to on the weekends with his/her pet parents. My girls love loading up at 3am to go to a dog race in another state..ha,
I tell them time to go racing and they just get so happy. !!! its a fun adventure and we usually eat some boiled chicken on the drive back.. !!! ha ha. The memory's and fun and photos are priceless.
Again to look up all these events in your town go to https://www.akc.org/ then click on sporting events and go to performance events, then type in which one your looking for, ill use fast cat evens, this is where I start if I want to do lure coursing, with my shiba I want them to get used to chasing the lure in a more secure environment before we do the big field of 650 yards in the open. once you put in the event , it will show you where they are running in your area, some places will let you do practice runs with a younger dog, so call the club and ask, I practice with my puppys after about 6to 8 months old is good. you can not get points till the dog is 1 year old then its time to get your titles and make your more serious runs. Good luck and hope you try this out. its soooo fun.
15. I recommend a older book that will show you how to walk and give commands the proper way, there are many great books out there, but this one will help the person and the proper way of walking the dog. I really like the photos and find them helpful for a beginner.
16. shiba Inu puppy's that are red are born dark, they turn red by about 8-10 week.